Twilight Academy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Twilight Academy

Welcome to the Twilight Academy!

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Partners
Have a site of your own? Let us know and we'll feature your banner here!
free forum WriteMight - A Writing Forum redcarpet&&rebellion.

Want to help spread the word about the Twilight Academy? Look in the Affiliates thread for our button code!
Your Admins
If you have problems with anything, please contact one of the following people:

Anna>>promise me this,

Bree>>the last dance.

Twirls>>schrödinger's admin

Dizzy>>greenpixie1797

Kat>>klutzs rule!!

#2.The World Will Still Turn When I'm Not Around

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
TheBeautifulDeception

TheBeautifulDeception

Number of posts : 132
House : Jasper
Registration date : 2009-06-12

#2.The World Will Still Turn When I'm Not Around Empty
PostSubject: #2.The World Will Still Turn When I'm Not Around   #2.The World Will Still Turn When I'm Not Around Icon_minitimeWed Jul 21, 2010 2:36 pm

The Hush Sound
#2.The World Will Still Turn When I'm Not Around POST
Members (from top left going clockwise): Darren Wilson (back up vocals, drums/percussion), Chris Faller (back up vocals, bass guitar), Robert Morris (Vocals, Guitar), Greta Salpeter (Vocals, Piano)

History
What began as random jam sessions between friends Bob Morris (guitar) and Greta Salpeter (piano/guitar) eventually grew into the Hush Sound. A classically trained pianist since age three, Salpeter was introduced to Morris by mutual friends when they were in seventh and tenth grade. They played together whenever free time would allow, and by winter 04-05 they had seriously begun writing songs. The Hush Sound is a pop quartet from Chicago, Illinois. Initially named “The Hush,”the band changed their name to “The Hush Sound” when Geffen Records said that their name sounded too much like the rapper "Hush" The band consists of Bob Morris on vocals and guitar, Chris Faller on bass and back up vocals, Darren Wilson on drums and back up vocals, and Greta Salpeter on vocals and piano. Wilson was onboard first, but it wasn't until watching a tape of the trio's first performance that Faller decided to join as well. Impressed by what he saw, Faller quit his other two bands and solidified the Hush Sound's lineup in February 2005.Original bassist Chris Faller left the band in October 2008 in order to pursue other musical interests and was replaced by Mike LeBlanc, who had toured with them previously on their “Dance Across the Country Tour”.
By the end of March of 2005, The Hush Sound took their music into the studio to record their debut full-length album. They named it “So Sudden”—a reflection on how quickly things were moving for the band. They released their first album with no label support but sold 300 CDs in two nights. Five months later, the band began playing shows. They soon gained the attention of Fall Out Boy's Pete Wentz. On the day they were streaming “So Sudden” on purevolume, Ryan Ross from Panic!At The Diso discovered their page and passed it along to Pete Wentz. Wentz knew Bob from his previous work in Chicago-based band The Audition and, after listening, he sent The Hush Sound an email saying that he was interested in signing them to his Decaydance Records label.
So Sudden was re-released on Decaydance (with some minor lyric changes) and the band soon became a part of the 2006 Black Clouds and Underdogs tour. During this time, the band started recording the follow-up to So Sudden, entitled Like Vines, which was released on the 6th of June 2006 with production help from Fall Out Boy’s Patrick Stump who also does guest vocals on the albums song “Don’t Wake Me Up”. They toured for the album but didnt gain their first headline tour until November of 2006.
The bands third studio album was named one of the "Most Anticipated Albums of 2008" by Alternative Press. The album, "Goodbye Blues" was recorded in fall 2007 and released on the 18th of March 2008. The name of the third album had a bit of foreshadowing since it was the last album before the bands current declaration of hiatus.

Albums

#2.The World Will Still Turn When I'm Not Around Sudden
So Sudden
Originally released March 2005 (re-released later that year on Decaydance)
13 Tracks

#2.The World Will Still Turn When I'm Not Around Vines
Like Vines
June 6, 2006
11 Tracks

#2.The World Will Still Turn When I'm Not Around Theblues
Goodbye Blues
March 18, 2008
13 Tracks
2 Bonus Tracks (“You Are My Home” & “Pretty Down To Your Bones”)

Structure
The Hush Sound shows influence of Blues, Swing, Rock, and Folk more prominently in "Goodbye Blues." Indie, indie-rock, Piano Rock, Alternative and Cabaret Rock are also some of the genres this band has been placed in.

Their basic song structure is bouncy, fun, and sweetly melodic based around warm instrumentation. Although initial listeners will find many of the tracks styles interchangeable amid all the exuberance, closer listening reveals just how unique each song truly is. All members technically share vocal duties, but the focus mainly lies in the tradeoff between guitarist Bob Morris and pianist Greta Salpeter. Morris has a strong and controlled voice that steers each song effortlessly, while perfectly complementing the sassy sweetness of Salpeter. Although the main intrumentaion of the band ins Piano, Guitar, Bass, and drums many other instruments are put into random tracks such as the banjo in "Where We Went Wrong," a trumpet in "Lions Roar," and plays on precussion.

Every album has at least one solo piano song and until goodbye blues a completely acoustic guitar one was also included.

Currently...
On hiatus after four years of heavy work and touring
Chris Faller is working on his solo project
Greta Slapeter started her new band/project known as "Gold Motel" The group has already recorded one EP and one full length album entitled "Summer House" Gretas influence as head lady in the band is apperant as Gold Motel has a similiar (but jazzier) sound to that of The Hush Sound.
Robert Morris is also working on his new project

Official Music Videos
Crawling Towards The Sun (So Sudden)
Wine Red (Like Vines)
Honey (Goodbye Blues)
Medicine Man (Goodbye Blues)

Other Great Songs
Album: So Sudden
Weeping Willow
The Artist

Album: Like Vines
Sweet Tangerine
Magnolia
Don’t Wake Me Up

Album: Goodbye Blues
Hurricane
Not your Concern

Sorry I could only find live versions for a lot of them ^.^ You should still try to listen to the Album versions because although THS does a good job of live presentation the album versions are a lot crisper and a million times more eloquently amazing. Brendon Urie was used as a substitute to Patrick Stumps vocals on “Don‘t Wake Me Up” The first time the producer heard Hurricane, he cried.

Similar Artists
Gold Motel
Forgive Durden
Jacks Mannequin
Eisley
Charlotte Sometimes

My Opinion
The Hush Sound is a band I adore mostly because they don't really remind me of any other band I have ever heard. Their lyrics have a metaphoric originality that is kept fresh and new in every album. Many tracks are not what they seem if you don't pay attention to the words duality. Like "You Are The Moon," the song is really someone talking to a friend suffering from bi-polar disorder, depression, and low self esteem. "Lions Roar" is about someone getting stood up or dumped without warning. Even "Don't Wake Me Up" which is about the death of someone close. And yet others have a shoking straightforward message like "My Apologies" "The Artist" and "Love You Much Better." This shows how the band can be so experimental and different within itself and still manage to sound effortless

The Hush Sound's music gives me an image of their lyrics in scripted letter found in a box full of beautiful, lacey, vintage antique things and warm feelings. The sound of this band is so pleasing you could use their music for easy listening if you'd like. On further inspection of every song though, you find melodies and harmonies I can assure you missed in the first listenings. Up to this point of having been listening to them for four years I still find things I hadn't heard in every song all this time. Not to mention the vocals and the people are beautiful. Although I could never choose a favorite, the album that has the most songs that move me is “Like Vines”

EXTRAS!!!

“We Believe In Barrack Obama”
This song was on Fall Out Boys "Welcome to the New Administration" mixtape. I’ll bet you can’t guess who THEY voted for in the 2008 Elections.

“The Border Patrol”
Bob wrote this right after The Hush Sound was denied access into Canada by the border patrol simply because their tour van had too many stickers.

Okay so since an attempt of revival to the TA seems to be going about I still plan on continuing these as often as I can even if no one looks/responds to them. Hope you liked this one! It was more in depth because I know the band much better.

Last edited by TheBeautifulDeception on Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
the dodo's conundrum.

the dodo's conundrum.

Number of posts : 14985
House : Senate:
Registration date : 2007-12-31

PostSubject: Re: #2.The World Will Still Turn When I'm Not Around   #2.The World Will Still Turn When I'm Not Around Icon_minitimeWed Jul 21, 2010 3:10 pm

This was an awesome summary! I think you did a great job of capturing the sound of the band. The Hush Sound is one of my favorite bands, and it's nice to see it get some good press here. ^.^ Nice job! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: #2.The World Will Still Turn When I'm Not Around   #2.The World Will Still Turn When I'm Not Around Icon_minitimeWed Jul 21, 2010 4:55 pm

I love the hush sound! great lesson Dede!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: #2.The World Will Still Turn When I'm Not Around   #2.The World Will Still Turn When I'm Not Around Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

#2.The World Will Still Turn When I'm Not Around
Page 1 of 1